This 4th of July will probably look a lot different than past celebrations. Many stores are just starting to reopen and people are still practicing social distancing.
Also, while some thrift stores may have their brick and mortar locations open, there are plenty online to choose from.
You can certainly still enjoy the holidays with your immediate family even though we won’t be gathering in large numbers.
Here are some thrift suggestions and ideas to make your 4th of July as fun, but also as cost-efficient as possible!
stores to find GREAT online DEALS
Since a lot of thrift stores are still closed as we slowly approach the holidays, where do you go to find great deals on decor? Online of course!
There are many discount and thrift stores that are still open online and available for you to thrift your fourth of July now.
You can find some great deals on the dollar tree website. The only drawback is that you usually have to shop in bulk.
Goodwill is still open online! I found these great baskets for $10
There is some great home decor for the holiday on eBay. You have to search through many of the selections to find the most cost-effective
You’re also bound to find holiday decor cheap on apps like Mercari and Letgo
Suggestions for fun & thrifty decor ideas
- Shred pieces of red, white, and blue paper to make a globe centerpiece like the one pictured above
- Thrift or salvage old fake flowers and make them into a fourth of July wreath
- Take old red, white and blue t-shirts and make 4th of July garland
- Use old jars to make red, white and blue candles
- Paint old pots red white and blue to sit flowers in
- Use red, white and blue plates, cups, and place settings
- Use a piece of red or white fabric for your table cloth setting
Ways to gather to celebrate the fourth of July
While we most likely won’t be gathering in large groups here are three ways you and your family can still see each other for the holidays
Have a car parade: People are doing this now for birthdays and graduations. It may become a new normal for a while, so why not the holidays.
There are all sorts of fun type of ways you can decorate your car! You can use garland, streamers or just chalk.
Have a family chat via an online platform and make sure you play some games. Charades or 4th of July related trivia are always great games to play remotely.
Dress the part
You can find great thrift items online at the same stores listed above. Throw in Poshmark and ThredUp into the mix and you’re bound to find an entire outfit with no problem.
Thrifty ideas for dressing the part
- Cut off old or thrifted jeans and make them into shorts. You can decorate them with 4th of July symbols with either paint, marker or appliques
- Make your own red, white and blue face masks or look into some of the one’s below
Get the kids in on the celebration
Don’t forget to have holiday related games for the kids!
- Teachers pay teachers is actually a great place to find free or low-cost educational activities for kids, the one linked is free!
- Here are great arts and crafts idea to do with your kids
- Get them to help create some of the decor
Don’t forget about your pets
Make sure you don’t leave out your pets!
Check out Pinterest for some great ideas that are super easy things to create. One thrifty idea is to use old t-shirts or scraps of fabric to make fourth of July related bows and bandanas.
Hope you have a wonder, safe and thrifty Fourth of July!
(this post contains affiliate links)